We have reserved 2 of the district vans for Wednesday to bring kids down to Elm Creek to ski. This is great! We should be able to get everyone on snow to learn how to ski! We will be skate skiing. The two vans should hold 8 kids each, or 16 total. We plan on having one van for the younger high school kids, and one for the middle school kids. The rest of you should be able to carpool down and meet us there.
The first van plans on leaving at 2:45 at the latest and taking 8 of the younger high schoolers.
The second van plans on leaving with middle school around 3:15 at the latest.
Coaches will drive and bring the kids back to school. Vans should get back to school around 5:15.
If you can carpool, please do, so we have room for everyone who cannot.
There will be no practice at Elk River HS Wednesday, we will all be going to Elm Creek. Parents, you can pick up kids back at school around 5:15-5:30, or you can pick up at Elm Creek around 4:45.
Thanks for your cooperation and flexibility as the season progresses. We have lots of new skiers who are very enthusiastic and showing lots of early talent!
Skiers and Parents: Here are key events for the upcoming week.
First off, we still have some Papa Murphy’s cards left. I think we missed some people due to the football game Friday. If you haven’t gotten your cards, do so on Monday. Shelly Binsfeld we be there after practice again to help hand out cards and take money.
Monday: Hand out rental skis for girls. Rental costs are $25 per pair of skis, so for skate and classic, that would be $50. Bring money, or checks, made out to Elk River Nordic Returning skiers get there at 1:45 to help scrape wax off of skis so we can fit them to the skiers.
Tuesday: Hand out skis for boys. Plus team night at Pioneer Midwest at 6:00. Buy any gear you don’t have already, get ski bags, poles, clothes, skis etc… Remember we get a team discount.
Wednesday: Packing stuffing for the Wild Turkey Wattle at 12:30. Remember this race is our biggest fundraiser and we need everyone’s help, whether that is on Wednesday or Thursday. Sign up in the ski room for assigned tasks. Remember everyone to bring treats for the runners!
Thursday: Happy Thanksgiving! Wild Turkey Wattle Race at Otsego Park. Race setup starts at 6:00AM. Race starts at 8:00 AM. Clean up should be done by 10-10:30AM
Friday/Saturday: Tentative trip up north to Giants Ridge/Mt. Itasca Ski areas
- Choose the number of cards you and your skier want to sell.
- Write a check to Elk River Nordic for $20 per card. (ie. 5 cards = $100)
- Send in/Exchange $ for cards on Nov 15 +16
- SELL, GIVE, or USE the cards
- You keep the payments for the cards since you have already paid the team for the cards.
- Buy one or two for yourself. Just imagine dinner planned and paid for once every 3 months for a year. Just put it on your calendar and you will be surprised by a free dinner to pick up on your way home.
- Empower your driving teen to provide dinner for the family by the teen using the pizza cards to picking up and bake dinner every 3 months. Buy 3 cards and they can be in charge of pizza night once a month.
- Have a pizza loving family? Buy two cards and pick up two free pizzas each trip.
- Plan a Pizza Night Gathering with friends or neighbors every three months. A great reason to make a plan and get the date on your calendars.
- The non-cooker of the family will be thankful for the simplicity and cost of a pizza dinner.
- Snowstorms! Swing by Papa Murphy’s just before a snowstorm hits and you can enjoy a warm delicious pizza without waiting for the late and risky pizza delivery in the middle of the storm.
- Local Restaurant Fundraiser Event —- The team captains are investigating which restaurant we can partner up with in order to do a fundraising dinner.
- Sponsorship of needed items by Current Families —- Select an item off the Coaches’ wish list and team up with other families to sponsor the purchase of the item(s). Write checks to Elk River Nordic.
- Legacy Donations in the form of used Equipment or Monetary Gifts —- Give Coach Varty the name and contact number/address of someone involved in the team in the past and who you think may be interested in currently helping the team
Captains Annica Carr and Jadon Purcell have organized clothing orders for the team. There are long and short sleeve T-shirts, sweatpants and sweatshirts, and also hats and headbands. All the ordering is online at this link. Clothing Orders Annica will have sample sizes to try on at practice later this week. The deadline is Dec. 5th.
Hello skiers and parents,
A couple quick things to remember. First, make sure all your forms are in and physical up to date by the first day of practice, you can’t practice without them!
Saturday is the Pioneer Midwest ski swap, 8am-4pm. This is a great place for first year kids to get boots, poles, skis, or whatever you need! All first year skiers need boots by Wednesday!
Monday is the first practice for returning athletes. Be ready at 2:45 at ERHS, that means be there 2:30 or so to get ready.
Tuesday is the first day for all skiers! Bring dryland gear.
The practice plan for the week is updated under the weekly practice schedule tab. Check it out. It is tentative based on the weather. Be prepared for anything!
We are buying Elm Creek passes again this year. Elm Creek has already begun making snow and they may open earlier this year. Passes cost $37.50. If you ski there 4 times or more during the year you break even, as day passes cost $10. Bring cash, or make checks out to Elk River Nordic. We would like to turn these in as soon as possible, so bring money by Friday 11/16.
Jacket orders for team jackets are due Monday 11/19. The jackets are the same as we got last year. Made by Mt. Borah and match our uniforms. They are also very warm, windproof and moisture wicking, perfect for skiing at practice. Cost is $100. Make checks to Elk River Nordic.
If you haven’t added the remind app, please do. Text @erznordic to 81010
Lastly, we encourage everyone to get a flu shot this winter. It seems like every year the team gets hit by illness at some point. Lets do what we can to stay healthy!