Keep track of what you do this week! Be honest but also know that we will be reviewing your training logs the Wednesday after you get back! They key is to stay active! We’ve posted the weekly plan, please check under the “weekly practice schedule 15-16″ tab at the top of the page.
Update! John is hosting a varsity only practice Tuesday at 4:00pm at the acorn lot at Elm Creek Park. Bring a change of clothes for afterward because you will be done in time to go to team night at Pioneer Midwest!
Tuesday: Team night at Pioneer Midwest at 6:00pm is a time for athletes and parents to learn how to wax skis. There will be a waxing demonstration by Pioneer experts. This is also a great opportunity for anyone who hasn’t gotten their own gear yet – Pioneer has some special deals going on for this night only.
All families and students – we need your help at the Wild Turkey Wattle 5k!! The race starts at 8am and we could use help before, during and after. Families, please send a plate of baked goods to contribute to our finish line food. We are still in need of some workers to sign up for time slots so contact Anderson if you can. This is a huge event for us and we really want to put on a good show for the 340+ registered runners/waddlers! We’ve got slots available from 6:45-10:00am on Thursday morning and if you are available Wednesday afternoon to help with packet stuffing – we’d love your help too! That begins in Anderson’s room at 2:00pm on Wednesday and you can head out on a team rollerski afterward once packets are done! Contact Anderson if you are available. If you have any questions feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
You guys were awesome yesterday!! The city was already out this morning to check out the piles and figure out what equipment they would need to move those piles! They were impressed with all that you got done! The note below is from them so please take a moment to read it and understand how important it is for us to give back to the trail system and the city. Thanks for your hard work!! We’ll get some pics up of your team later today. (Hey – did you see the snow flying – it will come!)
From the Parks Superintendent:
I just wanted to say thanks to you and the Nordic Ski team. They did an exceptional job out at Woodland Trails pulling the buckthorn and getting it to where we can access it with equipment. It never ceases to amaze me what a large group of motivated youth can accomplish. I just visited the park a few minutes ago to see what equipment we would need to move the piles and I was truly astonished at the amount they had piled up. Please let all the kids know that we really do appreciate their help as we couldn’t have accomplished this without them.
If they are interested in doing it again, that would be outstanding as we still have a lot of buckthorn yet to clean up. Please let me or Dave know if there is potential to do another hour or two sometime before the snow really starts to fly.
Again, thanks and also thank you to Dave for helping to organize this effort.
Tim Sevcik | Parks Superintendent
The first couple days are under our belt and you all are doing great! We are impressed with all the new skiers we’ve seen and we are looking forward to seeing you on roller skis more and on real snow(as soon as it comes)!!
A few things we want to remind you about:
- Clothing Orders are due on Wednesday, 11/18: Sample sizes are in Anderson’s room to try on and will be down in the wax room later this week if needed.
- Jacket Orders will also be due on Wednesday, 11/18: Jackets are the same price as last year, $75. They will take a couple weeks to embroider and ship but we will get them as quickly as possible. We are hoping for the first week in December.
- Hats and other appropriate clothes!: Temps are dropping, make sure you have layers to wear at practice. It may start warm, but the temps will be dropping as practice goes on, that sun is setting all of practice. Bring layers and add/remove as needed. Today’s high was 52 with rain, tomorrow and Friday will be in the low 40’s. Hats and gloves are also important to have on hand!
- Rollerskis: All team rollerskis need to be returned to the wax room. We still have several rollerskis that are out to skiers that rented them over the summer. The Team needs them! Remember them tomorrow, and don’t keep them in your locker!
- Training Logs: Update them daily! Don’t wait until the end of the week, you’ll forget information. Update them daily, set a reminder on your phone, do something so that you don’t forget to fill them out.
- Forms: Get any team forms turned in ASAP. Including – athlete responsibility from or Winter Trip form
- Have fun! We’ll see you at practice tomorrow, thanks for a great start to the new season!
Many of you were asking about summer pole tips. We have some as a team. You may borrow them from the team. The replacement cost for breaking or losing them is $15. We have a limited supply.
If you need or want summer pole tips for roller skiing – to take off your winter tips… Put the pole tips under hot water (or use a blow dryer to heat up the end) and the tips pop right off when you pull. Bring your winter tips to practice tomorrow in case we run out of summer ones. The winter tips work fine but are more likely to break under the stress of the cement.
Don’t forget to bring your helmet!
A few things to note:
Monday 11/09: Practice for returning skiers that are currently juniors or seniors. We will meet in the wax room at 2:00pm to inventory gear, fix gear and likely go for a short jog. This day is to help us get the pole tips switched over and get the gear ready for the season! We couldn’t do it without you! If you have a hairdryer please bring it with.
Tuesday 11/10: First day of practice! Make sure to bring running shoes, clothes for any weather, a helmet, and your boots if you have them (for roller skiing). We look forward to seeing you.
Captains Clothing Orders: The sweatshirt design has been changed to exclude the year.
An Alumni Achievement: It is always good to hear about alumni continuing to be active after high school. Karl Gorecki, RHS alumni, placed 17th overall in the Superior trail marathon over the summer. He was also the 3rd youngest participant! If interested, here’s the ARTICLE